Please Tell Us about Your Bequest — It’s Important!
We recently learned that a longtime supporter of ours had passed away and provided generously for Western Kentucky University in her will. Sadly, there was never an opportunity to thank her: The gift had come as a complete surprise.
Estate gifts that arrive unannounced sometimes can be misdirected or otherwise fail to carry out donors’ intentions. In one legendary example, a donor’s hand-written will left a significant bequest to “the University of Southern California, also known as UCLA.” In another case, a donor left funds to a hospital in a retirement community – restricted to a nonexistent prenatal care program!
Why do people include WKU in their estate plans? Personal satisfaction is the overwhelming reason, and you can magnify that satisfaction by communicating your own good news to our Office of Development. By notifying our office, you’ll also ensure that:
- Your gift will go to benefit a particular area of interest, if desired;
- We can recognize you appropriately (or determine that you wish to remain anonymous);
- Your gift meets criteria for endowed chairs, scholarships or other specific programs that are important to you;
- You become a member of the Society of 1906, which celebrates supporters make gifts through their estate plans.
- Your gift can encourage classmates, colleagues and others to make their own gifts;
- You receive a most sincere “thank you,” either publicly or privately, for your thoughtful generosity.
Sharing the good news of your bequest will also help us better plan for the future of WKU and evaluate the success of our planned giving program. A short note, e-mail or telephone call to our office will be much appreciated . . . and you’ll brighten everyone’s day!
Office of Philanthropy
Western Kentucky University
1906 College Heights Blvd. #11005
Bowling Green, KY 42101
(270) 745-6993 or toll free 1-888-958-2586
John Paul Blair
Associate Vice President for Major and Planned Gifts
Leslie M. Watkins
Senior Director of Planned Giving
Copyright © R&R Newkirk. All rights reserved.
- Personal Planning Ideas
- IRA Charitable Rollover
- Best Assets for Giving
- Gifts That Pay You Income
- Gifts from Estate Plans
- Donor Stories
- Design Your Gifts
- Chart Your Path
- Estate Planning Lessons
- Important Terms
- Facts for Advisers
- Seasons of Life
- Estate Planning for Women
- Society of 1906
- The WKU Planner
- Free Publications
- Contact Us
- Planned Giving Home
- Development & Alumni Relations Home